Xiaodong Feng, PhD, PharmD
Dean, College of Pharmacy
Professor Pharmacology and Oncology
CNU Vice President of Admissions and Student Services
Phone: (916) 686-7400
Dr. Xiaodong Feng is one of the original four co-founders of CNUCOP and the first faculty member hired at California Northstate University. Dr. Feng received his Ph.D. in Cellular and Molecular Physiology from the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Albany College of Pharmacy. His integrated training and expertise in cancer education, along with his clinical practice experiences, community service activities, and skills in cancer research, position him to effectively deliver high quality patient care and medical education. He serves as a professor of oncology and pharmacology at the College of Medicine and College of Pharmacy. He also assumes administrative role as the Dean of CNUCOP and University Vice President for Admissions and Student Services. He previously practiced as a clinical pharmacist at Sutter Davis Hospital and an Oncology Pharmacy Specialist at Dignity Health Medical Foundation.
Dr. Feng has over twenty years of clinical and biomedical research experience in cancer, wound healing, and cardiovascular disease. He has recently been issued four US patents on strategies for anti-angiogenesis and cancer treatments and has edited a major textbook on pharmacogenomics co-authored by some of CNU faculty, students, and residents. This textbook was selected as a reference book for the pharmacy board exam by AACP, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Yale University Medical School subsequently wrote a favorable review on this book which was published in the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine.
Pharmacogenomics, Clinical Oncology, pharmacovigilance, Pharmacy Education
- Editor: Feng, Xiaodong and Xie, HG. Applying Pharmacogenomics in Therapeutics. Boca Raton: CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group). 2016. ISBN: 978-1-4665-8267-5
- Editor: Brent Luu, Virginia Hass, Xiaodong Feng, Elaine Kauschinger, Gerald Kayingo, Sandhya Venugopal. Advanced Pharmacology for Prescribers. Springer Publishing. 2021. ISBN: 0826195466, ISBN13: 9780826195463
- Editor: Feng, Xiaodong, Xie, HG, Malhotra, and Catherine Yang. Biologics and Biosimilars: Drug discovery and Clinical Affairs. This book will be published by CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group) in spring 2022.
- A simple 3D invasive migration and angiogenesis assay to screen for matrix materials or pharmacological agents that either enhance or inhibit angiogenesis (WO/2000/062833) .
- Antisense integrin beta3 mRNA for gene therapy of angiogenic diseases and in vitro investigation (pending).
- Application of novel synthetic polysaccharides in cardiovascular diseases. (pending)
- Administration of an antagonist of α5β1 for anti-angiogenesis and cancer treatment. US Patent 8,946,159
- Formulations having an antagonist of α5β1 for anti-angiogenesis and cancer treatment, US Patent US8815805B2
- Administration of an antagonist of alpha 5 beta1 for anti-antiogenesis and cancer treatment, EP2793924A4, European Patent Office
- Combined administration of integrin receptor antagonists for anti-angiogenic therapy, US20110319335A1
- Formulations having an antagonist of α5β1 for anti-angiogenesis and cancer treatment, Japan Patent 6224615
- Anti-Angiogenesis Treatment of Endothelial Tissue using Combinations of Antagonists. US Patent US10722555
- Inhibiting Sprout Angiogenesis. U.S Patent US10786548
- Compositions for inhibiting sprout angiogenesis. U.S. Patent 10973877
- Xiaodong Feng, COMPOSITIONS FOR INHIBITING SPROUT ANGIOGENESIS. U.S. Patent 10973877
- A Malhotra, D Brady, E Kreys, J Silva, X Feng, C Yang. Development, implementation, and assessment of a comprehensive, integrated, and multimodal interprofessional education (CIM-IPE) program. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice 2020, 100356.
- Xiaodong Feng, Anti-angiogenic treatment of endothelial tissue with a combination of antagonists. U.S. Patent 10,722,555
- Harmeet Deol, Alan Truong, Tibebe Woldemariam, Xiaodong Feng and Ruth Vinall. Supporting evidence, potential adverse effects, and known drug interactions of the complementary alternative medicines which are frequently used by prostate cancer patients. Int Arch Urol Complic 2018, 4:047. DOI: 10.23937/2469-5742/1510047
- Dongmei Gao, Tiennian Zhu, Frank Ma and Xiaodong Feng. Downregulation of Stromal Cell Expression of Caveolin-1 Predicts Age, Tumor Size, and Lymph Metastasis in Patients With Nonmetastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Involvement of Caveolin-1 in Tumor Proliferation and Invasio. JNCCN, 2017, 15: 5S. DOI: https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2017.0068
- Marissa Chinn, Heather Cohen, Amram Averick, Zohra Ismail, Xiaodong Feng. Cancer Biosimilars: Regulation Challenges and Clinical Impact (invited clinical review). US Pharm. 2016;41(11)(Specialty & Oncology suppl):7-12..
- Yingqi Zhang, Seumsack Dennis Somtakoune, Mario Listiawan, Christina Cheung, Xiaodong Feng. Therapeutic Application of Pharmacogenomics in Oncology (invited clinical review). AAPSJ. 2016;18(4):819-29. doi: 10.1208/s12248-016-9926-x
- Mario Listiawan, Xiaodong Feng. Therapeutic Application of Pharmacogenomics in Cancer Treatment: Toxicity Prediction and Minimization. Editor: Xiaodong Feng. Therapeutic Application of Pharmacogenomics in Patient Care. (2015) Taylor & Francis.
- Seumsack Dennis Somtakoune, Yingqi Zhang, Myron Phillip Todd, Heather Cohen, Xiaodong Feng. Cancer Vaccines and Immunotherapy for Tumor Prevention and Treatment. US Pharm. 2015;41(2)(Specialty&Oncology suppl):13-18.
- X Feng. Anti-angiogenic treatment of ovarian, breast, and prostate cancer with a combination of antagonists. US Patent App. 14/575,266
- Xiaodong Feng, Randall L. Mello, Mario Listiawan, Robert Quadro. Future Medicine for Today’s Cancer Patients: Therapeutic Application of Pharmacogenomics in Oncology (invited clinical review). J Pharmaceutical Care and Health Sciences. J Pharma Care Health Sys. 2014 1:119. doi: 10.4172/23760419.1000119
- Xiaodong Feng. Angiogenesis and Antiangiogenesis Therapies: Spear and Shield of Pharmacotherapy (invited editorial). J Pharmaceutical Care and Health Sciences. 2014; 1(3); doi:10.4172/jpchs.1000e110.
- Xiaodong Feng, Amie Cai, Kevin Dong, Wendy Chaing, Kevin Yamashiro, Tibebe Woldemariam, and Bin Guan. Assessing Risks of Impaired Healing and Osteomyelitis Associated with Bisphosphonates Using FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS). J Pharmacovigilance 3:158. doi: 0.4172/2329-6887.1000158
- Vyas D, Bhutada N, Ofstad W, Feng X. Comparing a Simulation Based Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience (IPPE) to Traditional Direct Patient Care IPPEs. Pharmacy Education: An International Journal for Pharmaceutical Education. 2014; (14); 1-9.
- X Feng. Formulations having an antagonist of α5β1 for anti-angiogenesis and cancer treatment. US Patent 8,815,805
- Xiaodong Feng, Wendy Chaing, Dang-Khoa Huynh and Jenny Nhi Boi Chau. Metformin and Cancer Control: Beyond glycemia (invited clinical review).US Pharmacist. 2014;39(9)(Specialty&Oncology suppl):3-7.
- Xiaodong Feng: Cell Based Immunotherapy for Cancer (invited clinical review). US Pharm. 2013; 38(9) (Oncology suppl):8-11.
- Xiaodong Feng, Marcia Tonnesen, Shaker A. Mousa, Richard. Clark. Fibrin and Collagen Differentially but Synergistically Regulate Sprout Angiogenesis of Human Dermal Microvascular Endothelial Cells in 3-Dimensional Matrix. International Journal of Cell Biology International Journal of Cell Biology. 2013; vol2013:1-11
- Feng X, Cai A, Dong K, Chaing W, Feng M, et al. Assessing Pancreatic Cancer Risk Associated with Dipeptidyl Peptidase 4 Inhibitors: Data Mining of FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS). J Pharmacovigilance. 2013; 1:110. doi:10.4172/2329-6887.1000110
- Feng X, Dong K, Pham D, Pence S, Inciardi J, Bhutada NS. Efficacy and cost of single-dose rasburicase in prevention and treatment of adult tumor lysis syndrome: a meta-analysis. J Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2013 Apr 3. doi: 10.1111/jcpt.12061. [Epub ahead of print]
- Xiaodong Feng, Deepti Vyas and Bin Guan: Novel Immune and Target Therapy for Skin Cancer. US Pharmacist (invited clinical review) (Hematology and Oncology suppl):2012;37(11)(Oncology suppl):7-11.
- Deepti Vyas, PharmD, Nilesh S. Bhutada, Xiaodong Feng. Patient Simulation to Demonstrate Students’ Competency in Core Domain Abilities Prior to Beginning Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2012; 76 (9) Article 176.
- Xiaodong Feng, et al. Pharmacogenomic Biomarkers for Toxicities Associated with Cancer Therapy. US Pharmacist. (Hematology and Oncology suppl):2012;37(1):2-7.
- Xiaodong Feng, Brad Brazill, and David Pearson. Therapeutic Application of Pharmacogenomics in Oncology: Selective Biomarkers for Cancer Treatment. (invited clinical review) US Pharmacist. 2011;36(11)(Hematology and Oncology suppl):5-12.
- Xiaodong Feng, William Ofstad and David Hawkins. Antiangiogenesis therapy: a new strategy for cancer treatment (invited clinical review). US Pharmacist. 2010;35(7) (Oncology Suppl):4-9.
- Berhane Ghebrehiwet, Boon-Leong Lim, Rajeev Kumar, Xiaodong Feng, Ellinor IB Peerschke. effects of surfactants on the stabilization of the bovine lactoperoxidase activity. Biotechnology Progress. 2008; 14 (4): 653-656.
- Berhane Ghebrehiwet, Boon-Leong Lim, Rajeev Kumar, Xiaodong Feng, Ellinor IB Peerschke. Biosynthesis and secretion of tremerogen a-10, a polysioprenyl peptide mating pheromone of tremella mesenterica. European Journal of Biochemistry. 2008; 147(3): 489-493.
- Mousa SA, Davis FB, Mohamed S, Davis PJ, Feng X., Pro-angiogenesis action of thyroid hormone and analogs in a three-dimensional in vitro microvascular endothelial sprouting model. Int Angiol. 2006 Dec;25(4):407-13.
- Shaker Mousa, Xiaodong Feng, et al. Synthetic Oligosaccharide Stimulates and Stabilizes Angiogenesis: Structure-Function Relationships and Potential Mechanisms. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2006 Aug;48(2):6-13.
- Berhane Ghebrehiwet, Boon-Leong Lim, Rajeev Kumar, Xiaodong Feng, Ellinor IB Peerschke. Inflammation, immunity, vaccines for helicobacter infection. Helicobacter. 2006; 11(S1): 21-26.
- Berhane Ghebrehiwet, Xiaodong Feng, et al. Complement component C1q induces endothelial cell adhesion and spreading through a docking/signaling partnership of C1q receptors and integrins. Int Immunopharmacol. 2003;3(3):299-310.
- Xiaodong Feng, Marcia G. Tonnesen, Ellinor I.B. Peerschke, and Berhane Ghebrehiwet. C1qmediated endothelial cell adhesion and spreading. J. Immunology. 2002; 168(5):2441-2448. 30. Berhane Ghebrehiwet, Boon-Leong Lim, Rajeev Kumar, Xiaodong Feng, Ellinor I.B. Peerschke. GCiq/p33, a member of a new class of multifunctional and multicompartmental cellular proteins, is involved in inflammation and infection. Immunology reviews. 2001; 180, 129-141.
- Marcia G. Tonnesen, Xiaodong Feng, Richard A.F. Clark. Angiogenesis in wound healing. J. Invest. Derm. 2000; 5; 40-46.
- Xiaodong Feng, Richard A.F. Clark, Dennis Galanakis, Marcia G. Tonnesen, Fibrin and collagen differentially regulate human dermal microvascular endothelial cell integrins: stabilization of alpha v/beta 3 mRNA by fibrin. J. Invest. Derm. 1999; 113(6), 913-919.
Awards and Accomplishment
Founder and organizer for the Annual California Capitol Region East and West Health Fair at California Northstate University. As one of the major regional health fairs, this event is designed to promote the community diversity, culture awareness, community harmony, and community health. It has served over 6000 local residents since 2016. This historical health fair not only offered acupuncture and herbal medicine, free flu vaccines, hepatitis screening, diabetes screening, stroke education and screening, vision and dental screening for local residents, it also offered an unique platform for local organizations to promote their businesses and explore potential collaboration partners. Many local and regional physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, herbalists, acupuncturists, massage therapists, social workers, patient advocates, volunteers, students (medical, pharmacy, nursing, premed and high school students), community leaders and civic leaders offered free clinical services and educational activities during the health fair. Over 80 health care organizations and vendors participated in this historical health fair and CE event. Over 2000 community residents attended this unprecedented health fair which integrated western medicine with eastern medicine. Leading CNU as the first university designated by the state of California as one of the primary vaccination sites for the public. The CNU Vaccination Clinic has vaccinated over 40,000 doses of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines for the public since January 2021.