Tibebe Woldemariam, R.Ph., Ph.D.
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences
Professor, Medicinal Chemistry
Vice Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Sciences
Phone: (916) 686-8098
Fax: (916) 686-8142
Tibebe Woldemariam is a Professor at the California Northstate University College of Pharmacy. He received his B.S. in Pharmacy and Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia and University of Bradford, England, respectively. Before joining CNUCOP, he worked as a Senior Research Chemist at Biotechnology Companies in Massachusetts and California, where he was responsible for the isolation and characterization of bioactive molecules from diverse microbial, plants and plants tissue culture extracts. He began his academic career at King’s College London, before he joined California Northstate University College of Pharmacy as an Assistant Professor in 2008. He is currently serving as a vice chair, Department of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Sciences. In addition to his regular duties as an associate professor, Dr. Woldemariam works as a community pharmacist to expand his knowledge beyond Medicinal Chemistry and help precept students when needed.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Cancer & Chemotherapy
- Tibebe Woldemariam∗ and Jake Van Winkle. In Vitro Hypoglycemic Effect of Salvia hispanica Using a Yeast Glucose Uptake Model. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacology Vol. 2, 1–4, 2015.
- George Talbott, Tibebe Woldemariam, and Leo Fitzpatrick. Effects of Silymarin Fractions on Pro-Inflammatory Cytokine Secretion from Macrophage and Colonic Epithelial Cell Lines. Pharmacy & Pharmacology International Journal Volume 5 Issue 4 - 2017
- Leo R. Fitzpatrick, George Talbott, and Tibebe Woldemariam. Effects of Silymarin Fractions on Pro-Inflammatory Cytokine Secretion from Macrophage and Colonic Epithelial Cell Lines. Gastroenterology April 2016 Volume 150, Issue 4, Supplement 1, Pages S376–S377. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(16)31323-3
- Leo R. Fitzpatrick, George Talbott, Ella Mokrushin, and Tibebe Woldemariam. “Ex Vivo Effects of Silymarin Fractions on Pro-Inflammatory Cytokine Secretion from Colonic Strips of Mice with Dss induced Colitis”. Gastroenterology April 2017 Volume 152, Issue 5, Supplement 1, Page S571. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(17)32067-X.
- Leo R. Fitzpatrick, Ella T. Mokrushin, George Talbott, Tibebe Woldermariam. “In Vitro and Ex Vivo Effects of Silymarin Derivatives on Proinflammatory Cytokine Secretion Using a Murine Colonic Strip Model”. Planta Med Int Open 2018; 5: e55–e60. DOI https://doi.org/10.1055/a-0733-3716.
- Harmeet Deol, Alan Truong, Tibebe Woldemariam, Xiaodong Feng and Ruth Vinall. "Supporting Evidence, Potential Adverse Effects, and known Drug Interactions of the Complementary Alternative Medicines which are Frequently used by Prostate Cancer Patients" Int Arch Urol Complic 2018, Volume 4 | Issue 2 Open Access. DOI: 10.23937/2469 5742/1510047.
- Sprenger S, Woldemariam T, Chaturvedi LS. “Induction of Adipogenic Genes by Novel Serum-Free Conditions from Pre-adipocyte 3T3-L1 and ST2 Cells”. 2021. Cureus 13(3): e13831. doi:10.7759/cureus.13831.
- Venkatachari Seshadri, Howard Maibach, and Tibebe Woldemariam. “Role of Plant Extracts and Plant compounds for COVID-19 Intervention”. Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. Volume 7 ~ Issue 6 (2021) pp: 04-13. ISSN(Online) : 2347-2995.
Accomplishments and Awards
- Contributed a chapter in a book entitled “Applying Pharmacogenomics in Therapeutics” (Taylor & Francis Catalog#: K18948, ISBN: 9781-4665-8267-5).
- Serving as Editor for the ‘Journal of Pharmacovigilance’ since November 2012.
- Patents: 1. Novel formulations and uses for curcuma extracts. 2. Sunscreen comprising a curcuma extracts. 3. Method of producing a safe, whole-extract of curcuma for oral and topical use.
- Co-authored a chapter entitled ‘Small Molecules to Treat Inflammatory Bowel Disease’. In: Comprehensive Medicinal Chemistry III, Volume 5: Cancer, Immunology and Inflammation, an Infectious Disease (L. Lombardo, editor). Elsevier Inc., Accepted for Publication.
- Faculty of the Year Awards from the Class of 2016, Class of 2017, and Class of 2022, California Northstate University College of Pharmacy.
- Winner (PI) of one of the 2013-2014 CNUCOP’s Seed Grants with the title of the project, “Evaluation of cytotoxic activity of selected plants”.
- Winner (PI) of one of the 2015-2016 CNUCOP’s Seed Grants with the title of the project, “Natural Products as a Source of Anti-Inflammatory Agents for Treating Inflammatory Bowel Disease”.
- Winner (PI) of one of the 2019 CNUCOP’s Seed Grants with the title of the project, “Role of Novel Bioactive Natural Plant-Derived Products in the Modulation of Obesity”.
- Winner (Co-PI) of one of the 2019 CNUCOP’s Seed Grants with the title of the project, “Inhibition of S1P3 Receptor as a Therapeutic Approach for Fibrotic Crohn’s Disease”.
- Winner (Co-PI) of one of the 2019 CNUCOP’s Seed Grants with the title of the project, “Preclinical Investigation of Sumac and Artichoke Plant Extracts in Pancreatic Cancer”.