Justin Lenhard, PharmD
Chair, Department of Clinical and Administrative Sciences
Director of Clinical Research
Associate Professor – Internal Medicine/Infectious Diseases
Phone: (916) 686-8007
Justin Lenhard is an associate professor of Clinical and Administrative Sciences at the California Northstate University College of Pharmacy. Dr. Lenhard received his PharmD from the University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and subsequently completed a two-year fellowship in antimicrobial pharmacology at the University at Buffalo.
Dr. Lenhard’s research focusses on the in vitro suppression of antibacterial resistance and utilizing novel PK/PD strategies to combat extensively drug-resistant pathogens. Dr. Lenhard’s laboratory also investigates how pathogens involved in polymicrobial infections modulate the pharmacodynamics of antibacterials against neighboring organisms.
Full list of publications
- McMurtry TA, Barekat A, Rodriguez F, Purewal P, Bulman ZP, Lenhard JR. Capability of Enterococcus faecalis to shield Gram-negative pathogens from aminoglycosides exposure. 2021. J Antimicrob Chemother.
- Oh S, Chau R, Nguyen AT, Lenhard JR. Losing the Battle but Winning the War: Can Defeated Antibacterials Form Alliances to Combat Drug-Resistant Pathogens? 2021. Antibiotics (Basel).
- Smith NM, Ang A, Tan F, Macias K, James S, Sidhu J, Lenhard JR. Interaction of Staphylococcus aureus and Acinetobacter baumannii during in vitro β-lactam exposure. 2021. Antimicrob Agents Chemother.
- Lenhard JR, Rana AP, Wenzler E, Huang Y, Kreiswirth BN, Chen L, Bulman ZP. A coup d'état by NDM-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae overthrows the major bacterial population during KPC-directed therapy. 2020. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis.
- Smith NM, Lenhard JR, Boissonneault KR, Landersdorfer CB, Bulitta JB, Holden PN, Forrest A, Nation RL, Li J, Tsuji BT. Using machine learning to optimize antibiotic combinations: dosing strategies for meropenem and polymyxin B against carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii. 2020. Clin. Microbiol. Infect.
- Lenhard JR (corresponding author), Smith NM, Quach CD, Nguyen TQ, Doan LH, Chau J. Bacterial brothers in arms: cooperation of Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa during antimicrobial exposure. 2019. J Antimicrob Chemother.
- Lenhard JR, Bulman ZP. Inoculum Effect of β-Lactam Antibiotics. 2019. J Antimicrob Chemother.
- Lenhard JR, Bulman ZP, Tsuji BT, Kaye KS. Shifting Gears: 2019. The Future of Polymyxin Antibiotics. Antibiotics (Basel).
- Lenhard JR, Thamlikitkul V, Silveira FP, Garonzik SM, Tao X, Forrest A, Soo Shin B, Kaye KS, Bulitta JB, Nation RL, Li J, Tsuji BT. 2017. Polymyxin-resistant, carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii is eradicated by a triple combination of agents that lack individual activity. J Antimicrob Chemother.
- Lenhard JR, Smith NM, Bulman ZP, Tao X, Thamlikitkul V, Shin BS, Nation RL, Li J, Bulitta JB, Tsuji BT. 2017. High-Dose Ampicillin-Sulbactam Combinations Combat Polymyxin-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in a Hollow-Fiber Infection Model. Antimicrob Agents Chemother.
- Lenhard JR, Nation RL, Tsuji BT. 2016. Synergistic combinations of polymyxins. Int J Antimicrob Agents.
- Lenhard JR, Gall JS, Bulitta JB, Thamlikitkul V, Landersdorfer CB, Forrest A, Nation RL, Li J, Tsuji BT. 2016. Comparative pharmacodynamics of four different carbapenems in combination with polymyxin B against carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii. Int J Antimicrob Agents.
- Lenhard JR, Bulitta JB, Connell TD, King-Lyons N, Landersdorfer CB, Cheah SE, Thamlikitkul V, Shin BS, Rao G, Holden PN, Walsh TJ, Forrest A, Nation RL, Li J, Tsuji BT. 2016. High-intensity meropenem combinations with polymyxin B: new strategies to overcome carbapenem resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii. J Antimicrob Chemother.
- Lenhard JR, Brown T, Rybak MJ, Meaney CJ, Norgard NB, Bulman ZP, Brazeau DA, Gill SR, Tsuji BT. 2015. Sequential Evolution of Vancomycin-Intermediate Resistance Alters Virulence in Staphylococcus aureus: Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic Targets for Vancomycin Exposure. Antimicrob Agents Chemother.
- Lenhard JR, von Eiff C, Hong IS, Holden PN, Bear MD, Suen A, Bulman ZP, Tsuji BT. 2015. Evolution of Staphylococcus aureus under vancomycin selective pressure: the role of the small-colony variant phenotype. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 59:1347-1351.
Recent Awards and Accomplishments
- Appointed to Director of Clinical Research for the College of Pharmacy in 2021
- P3 Teacher of the Year 2017, 2019, and 2021
- Clinical and Administrative Sciences Scholar of the Year 2019 and 2021
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy New Investigator Award Recipient 2020
- College of Pharmacy Faculty Preceptor of the Year 2020
- Employee of the Quarter 2020
- College of Pharmacy Professor of the Year 2019
- European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Travel Grant 2018
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Paper (High intensity meropenem combinations manuscript)
- Chair of the College of Pharmacy Assessment Committee 2018 - Present