Ashim Malhotra, PharmBS, MS, PhD, FAPE*
Assistant Dean of Curriculum and Program Development
Associate Professor of Pharmacology, CNUCOP
Director, University Institute of Teaching and Learning Excellence
Director, University Interprofessional Education Program
*Fellow, Academy of Pharmacology Educators (USA)
Phone: (916) 686-8885
Fax: (916) 686-8142
Areas of Speciality
Transplant medicine, cardiovascular diseases including cardiomyopathy and arrhythmia, interprofessional education, simulation, curriculum design, distance education, faculty development.
Ashim Malhotra is associate professor and Assistant Dean of Curriculum and Program Development at the California Northstate University College of Pharmacy. He is Director of the university’s Institute of Teaching and Learning Excellence (ITLE), and Director of the university’s
Interprofessional Education (IPE) program.
A pharmacist, NYU-trained molecular pharmacologist, and pharmacy educator with over fifteen years of academic experience, he leads faculty development activities for CNU’s six colleges of Medicine, Pharmacy, Health Sciences, Psychology, Graduate Studies, and Dental Medicine. He earned his Bachelor of Pharmacy degree in 2000, and MS (2003), and PhD (2006) degrees specializing in molecular pharmacology from St. John's University in New York City. For the next five years, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow and subsequently senior research scientist at the New York University (NYU) School of Medicine in molecular pharmacology.
Elected lifetime Fellow of the Academy of Pharmacology Educators of the American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, one of only twenty-two over a decade, his many professional contributions have been recognized through 28 college, university, and national awards as of 2020, of which 13 are teaching-related. He was the “Teacher of the Year” at every institution where he has worked. His teaching interests includes transplant medicine, immunology, cardiovascular pathophysiology and pharmacology, renal diseases, and IPE. He is also interested in SOTL, particularly in developing novel interprofessional teaching tools and assessment methodologies in pharmacy education.
Instances of college, university, and national service include his roles as Chair of the ACPE accreditation Self-Study for CNUCOP, Chair of Strategic Planning Committee for CNUCOP, Chair of college (Assessment; Marketing and Alumni; and Scholarship and Awards), university (Diversity), and national committees; service on the University Faculty Senate; Chair for ACPE Standard 11, IPE and diversity Self-Study contributor for LCME accreditation for College of Medicine and CODA accreditation for the College of Dental Medicine, and as a member of the University Accreditation Steering Committee for WASC accreditation.
Dr. Malhotra has a rich history of mentoring Pharm.D. and undergraduate students and postdoctoral fellows in bench and pedagogy research. For six continuous years (2014-2020), work conducted by his students was recognized through national awards such as the 2019 AACP Walmart Scholar award, 2015-2018 American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) travel awards, 2017 First prize winner at the Dolores Shockley ASPET poster competition, and others.
As of January 2021, he has published twenty-four peer-reviewed journal articles, thirteen book chapters, one book, over sixty-five abstracts, and garnered $374,000 in research funding with an emphasis on mitochondrial pharmacology and SOTL. Additionally, he has been invited to present at over three dozen conferences, seventeen of which were podium presentations and round tables at AACP national pharmacy education meetings, underscoring his contribution to academic pharmacy.
Malhotra’s bench research focuses on elucidating mitochondrial mechanisms in the etiology, pathological progression, and treatment of diseases such as cardiomyopathy, pancreatic cancer, and infectious diseases. His work has collectively been cited more than 1,100 times and he has an H-index of 12 as of 2021.
* denotes a student co-author
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- 2021:Oscualti AMM, òMalhotra A, Moretti M, Finley S, Javan G. The roles of the medical examiner in the COVID-19 era: a comparison between the United States and Italy. Forensic. Sci. Med. Pathol. Accepted.
Authors contributed equally; Malhotra is co-first author.
- 2020: Malhotra A, Brady D, Kreys E, Silva J, Feng X, Yang C. Development, implementation, and assessment of a comprehensive, integrated, and multimodal interprofessional education (CIM-IPE) program. J Interprof Educ Pract. 21. 100356.
- 2020: Titus-Lay E, Eid T, Kreys T-J, *Chu BXJ, Malhotra A. Trichotillomania associated with a 25-hydroxy vitamin D deficiency. A Case Report. Ment Health Clin. 10 (1): 38‐43.
- 2019: Hughes J, Cleven A, Ross J, Fuentes D, Elbarbry F, Suzuki M, Paolera MD, Carter NS, Stamper B, Low P, Malhotra A, Faro SJE. A comprehensive reflective journal- writing framework for pharmacy students to increase self-awareness and develop actionable goals. Am J Pharm Educ. 83 (3).
- 2017: Stamper BD, Buhler AV, Harrelson JP, Roberts SC, Malhotra A, Elbarbry FA, Rao D, Karimi R, Turner R, Marlow C, Devaud LL. Forecasting academic success through implementation of an online prerequisite review tutorials program for first-year pharmacy students. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 9 (2): 261-271.
- 2017: Amawi H, Karthikeyan C, Pathak R, Hussein N, Christman R, Robey R, Ashby CR Jr, Trivedi P, Malhotra A, Tiwari A. Thienopyrimidine derivatives exert their anticancer efficacy via apoptosis induction, oxidative stress and mitotic catastrophe. Eur J Med Chem. 29; 138: 1053-1065. (Impact Factor: 4.519).
- 2016: *Bath S, Lines J, Loeffler AM, Malhotra A, Turner RB. Impact of standardization of antimicrobial prophylaxis duration in pediatric cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 152 (4): 1115-20. (Impact Factor: 4.168).
- 2015: Xu Y, Malhotra A, Claypool S, Ren M, Schlame M. Tafazzin from Drosophila and mammalian cells: assembly in large protein complexes with a short half-life. Mitochondrion. 21:27-32. (Impact Factor: 3.8).
- 2015: Turner RB, Martello J, Malhotra A. Worsening renal function in patients with baseline renal impairment treated with intravenous voriconazole: a systematic review. Int J Antimicrob Agents. S0924-8579 (15) 00251-4. (Impact Factor: 4.28).
- 2015: Malhotra A, *Bath S, Elbarbry F. An organ system approach to exploring the anti- oxidative, anti-inflammatory, and cytoprotective actions of resveratrol. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2015: 803971. (Impact Factor: 4.49). Review.
- 2014: Fulford MJ, Souza J, Alston GL, McLaughlin J, Garavalia L, Franson K, Fowles M, Malhotra A, Szilagyi J, Kelley K, Castleberry A, Peeters M, Jenkins T, Bloom TJ, McDonough S, DiVall M, Marsh W, Dintzner M, Ried LD, Stratton T, Alkhateeb FM, Boyce E, Fox L, Dolaresco F, Bernard D, Coyne L, Ofstad W, McEwen D, Bouldin A, Mintz K, Zeszotarski P. Are you CAPE-A.B.L.E.? Center for the Advancement of Pharmacy Education: An assessment blueprint for learning experiences. A white paper on CAPE assessment. American Association of the Colleges of Pharmacy.
- 2014: Malhotra A, *Kahlon P, *Donoho T, Doyle IC. Pharmacogenomic considerations in the treatment of the pediatric cardiomyopathy called Barth Syndrome. Recent Pat Biotechnol. 8 (2): 136-43.
- 2014: Turner BR, Grover A, Malhotra A. The clinical management of pancreatic cancer. U.S. Pharmacist. Hematology and Oncology Supplement. September. Newsletter.
- 2011: Acehan D, Malhotra A, Xu Y, Ren M, Schlame M. Cardiolipin affects the supramolecular organization of ATP synthase in mitochondria. Biophys J. 100 (9): 2184-92. (Impact Factor: 4.137).
- 2011: Bedrosian AS, Nguyen AH, Hackman M, Connolly MK, Malhotra A, Ibrahim J, Cieza- Rubio NE, Henning JR, Barilla R, Rehman A, Pachter HL, Medina-Zea MV, Cohen SM, Frey AB, Acehan D, Miller G. Dendritic Cells Promote Pancreatic Viability in Mice with Acute Pancreatitis. Gastroenterology. 141 (5): 1915-26. (Impact factor: 12.455).
- 2011: Connolly M, Ayo D, Malhotra A, Hackman M, Ibrahim J, Bedrosian AS, Cieza-Rubio NE, Henning JR, Pachter HL, Frey AB, Miller G. Dendritic cell depletion exacerbates acetaminophen hepatotoxicity. Hepatology. 54 (3): 959-68. (Impact factor: 11.665).
- 2010: Connolly MK, Bedrosian AS, Malhotra A, Henning JR, Ibrahim J, Vera V, Cieza-Rubio NE, Hassan BU, Pachter HL, Cohen S, Frey AB, Miller G. In hepatic fibrosis, liver sinusoidal endothelial cells acquire enhanced immunogenicity. J Immunol. 185 (4): 2200-8. (Impact factor: 5.788).
- 2009: Connolly M, Mallen-St.Clair J, Bedrosian A, Malhotra A, Vera V, Ibrahim J, Pachter L, Bar-Sagi D, Frey A, Miller G. Distinct populations of metastases-enabling myeloid cells expand in the liver of mice harboring invasive and pre-invasive intra-abdominal tumor. J Leuk Biol. 87 (4): 713-25. (Impact factor: 4.992).
- 2009: Xu Y, Zhang S, Malhotra A, Edelman-Novemsky I, Ma J, Kruppa A, Cernicica C, Blais S, Neubert TA, Ren M, Schlame M. Characterization of tafazzin splice variants from humans and fruit flies. J Biol Chem. 284 (42): 29230-9. (Impact factor: 4.8).
- 2009: Malhotra A, Xu Y, Ren M, Schlame M. Formation of molecular species of mitochondrial cardiolipin. 1. A novel transacylation mechanism to shuttle fatty acids between sn-1 and sn-2 positions of multiple phospholipid species. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - 1791 (4): 314-20. (Impact factor: 3.883).
- 2009: Malhotra A, Edelman-Novemsky I, Xu Y, Plesken H, Ma J, Schlame M, Ren M. Role of calcium-independent phospholipase A2 in the pathogenesis of Barth syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 106 (7): 2337-41. (Impact factor: 9.681).
- 2009: Acehan D, Khuchua Z, Houtkooper RH, Malhotra A, Kaufman J, Vaz FM, Ren M, Rockman HA, Stokes DL, Schlame M. Distinct effects of tafazzin deletion in differentiated and undifferentiated mitochondria. Mitochondrion. 9 (2): 86-95. (Impact factor: 4.108).
- 2006: Xu Y, Malhotra A, Ren M and Schlame M. The enzymatic function of tafazzin. J Biol Chem. 281 (51): 39217-24. (Impact factor: 4.8).
- 2021: Mente W, Malhotra A, Young E, Brar N, Guan B, Feng X. Oncology biosimilars: Patient access and administration, In Hospital Pharmacy International Educational Handbook. Biosimilars: The path from production to patient. 2021 Taylor Francis.
- 2020: Malhotra A. Pharmaceutical liquid dosage forms in space: looking towards the future by learning from the past, In Handbook of Space Pharmaceuticals. Pathak YV, Araújo dos Santos M, Zea L (Editors). Springer.
- 2020: Javan G, Finley S, Malhotra A, Soni S. Dioxins: Detailed insight into their role as carcinogens, In Dioxin-Environmental Fate, Human Health and Ecological Consequences. CRC press.
- 2018: Khan F, Malhotra A. Review of bioorganic chemistry, In Medicinal Chemistry for Pharmacy Students, volume 1: Fundamental Concepts of Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Metabolism. F Khan (Editor), Bentham.
- 2017: Malhotra A, Soni S. Examining the effect of mitochondrial fission and fusion events on the heart: the role of the mitochondria in heart diseases, In Emerging Applications, Perspectives, and Discoveries in Cardiovascular Research. Malhotra A and Soni S (Editors), IGI Global, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
- 2017: Badejo A, Malhotra A. Antioxidant nutraceuticals in the treatment of inflammatory diseases, In Antioxidant Nutraceuticals: Preventive and Healthcare Applications. S. Pathak (Editor), Taylor and Francis (CRC Press).
- 2016: Malhotra A. Nanotechnology-based nutraceuticals and functional foods used in cardiovascular disease, In Nanotechnology in Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods - Production to Consumption. Y. Pathak (Editor), Taylor and Francis.
- 2016: Malhotra A, Javan G, Soni S. Applications of biopolymer-based surface modification in cardiovascular science, In Handbook of Pharmaceutical Polymers. A. Tiwari (Editor), Wiley-Scrivener USA.
- 2015: Malhotra A. Introduction to pharmacogenomics, In Pharmacotherapeutics for Nurse Practitioner Prescribers, 4thed. TM Woo and ML Robinson (Editors), FA Davis, Philadelphia.
- 2015: Malhotra A. Improving matters of the heart: pharmaceutical polymer applications in cardiology, In Handbook of Pharmaceutical Polymers. VK Thakur and MK Thakur (Editors), Wiley.
- 2015: Javan GT, Finley SJ, Can I, Salhotra A, Malhotra A, Soni S. Aberrant signaling pathways: hallmark of cancer cells and target for nanotherapeutics, In Advanced Theranostic Materials. A Tiwari, HK Patra, J-W C (Editors), Wiley.
- 2015: Doyle IC, Malhotra A. Polymers used in augmenting immunosuppressive therapy, In Handbook of Polymers for Pharmaceutical Technologies. VK Thakur (Editor), Wiley.
- 2014: Malhotra A. Cardiology applications in nanotechnology: proof of principle, In Handbook of Research in Nanotechnology Applications. S. Soni, A Salhotra, M Suar (Editors), IGI Global.
- Malhotra A, Khan F. Pharmacology of immunosuppressive agents and miscellaneous drugs, In Medicinal Chemistry for Pharmacy Students. F Khan (Editor), Bentham. Accepted.
2017: Emerging Applications, Perspectives, and Discoveries in Cardiovascular Research.
Malhotra A, Editor-in-Chief, and Soni S (Editor).
IGI Global Publishers, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
-Comprised of eighteen chapters written by experts across the United States, this book is intended as an exhaustive and comprehensive analysis of advancements in multiple aspects of research in the cardiovascular field. Topical coverage will range from cardiomyopathy to pathophysiology to the use of nanotechnology in creating solutions to problems. http://www.igi-global.com/book/emerging-applications-perspectives-discoveries-cardiovascular/171725
2021: Drug Discovery and Biosimilars.
Feng X and Malhotra A, editors. Taylor and Francis.
-Book in contract; it will comprise of twenty chapters written by national and international experts examining and contextualizing the biological, medicinal, commercial, and legal impact of biosimilars on drug discovery and manufacture in the modern era. Expected publication: 2021.
Posters and Abstracts (selected from 65)
- 2020: *Abala M, *Lugtu A, *Sanga A, Rose M, Ho L, Woldemariam,Malhotra A. Unravelling the pharmacology of the Middle Eastern spice sumac in causing cytotoxicity in pancreatic cancer: a feasibility study. American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear meeting. Virtual annual meeting.
- 2020: *Yu J, *Browning E, *McCann K, Eid TJ, Malhotra A. Comparative analysis of particle transmission across face-coverings: do face-coverings prevent coronavirus disease spread? American Society of Health System Pharmacists MidYear meeting. Virtual annual meeting.
- 2020: *Lugtu JA, *Ferrarotti A, Wetterer C, Puglisi J, Malhotra A. Identifying risk factors for hydrocodone and illicit drug abuse in the U.S. to facilitate prevention planning. Western Pharmacy Exchange annual meeting.
- 2020: Lugtu JA*, Ferraroti A*, Wettrer C, Puglisi J, Malhotra A. Identifying risk factors for hydrocodone and illicit drug abuse in the U.S. to facilitate prevention planning. California Northstate University Research Day, Elk Grove.
- 2020: Leading transformation of pharmacy practice: IPE Grand Round in stroke management and transitions of care. Malhotra A, Lui FS, AlKhayat T, Nehira J, Hutchinson S, Ramsamooj R, Urbano Jr. J, Puglisi J, McLaughlin B, Yang C, Silva J, Feng X. AACP “Virtual Pharmacy Education” annual national meeting, held online during COVID-19.
- 2020: A high-fidelity cardiovascular simulation for enhancing the integration of pathophysiology and pharmacology with clinical pharmacotherapeutics. Malhotra A, Jin Z, Oh S. AACP “Virtual Pharmacy Education” annual national meeting, held online during COVID-19.
- 2020: A university-wide self-directed leadership program in pedagogy: “Faculty Learning Communities” to achieve technology-enhanced teaching. Malhotra A, Yarbrough T, Yang C. AACP “Virtual Pharmacy Education” annual national meeting, held online during COVID-19.
- 2020: Determining the cause: analysis of 56,000 patients’ risk factors for prescription versus illicit drug abuse. *Lugtu JA, *Ferrarotti A, Wetterer C, Puglisi J, Malhotra A. AACP “Virtual Pharmacy Education” annual national meeting, held online during COVID-19.
- 2020: Mapping the co-curriculum to C.A.P.E. Outcomes and ACPE Standards 3 and 4. Kreys T-J, Kreys E, Malhotra A. AACP “Virtual Pharmacy Education” annual national meeting, held online during COVID-19.
- 2020: The development and implementation of a professional career development program for PharmD students. Kreys T-J, Ballard J, Malhotra A. AACP “Virtual Pharmacy Education” annual national meeting, held online during COVID-19.
- 2020: Malhotra A, Yarbrough T, Yang C. Frontiers in faculty development: Faculty Learning Communities to enhance technology-driven teaching in healthcare education. Accepted to be presented at the annual national meeting of ASPET, San Diego, CA.
- 2020: Malhotra A, Yarbrough T, Yang C. Implementing and assessing a faculty development workshop in online and hybrid course design. CNU Research Day. California Northstate University, Elk Grove.
- 2020: Malhotra A, Oh S, Ballard J, Jin Z. High-Fidelity Simulation as a Novel Integration Tool for the CNUCOP Pharm.D. Curriculum. CNU Research Day. California Northstate University, Elk Grove.
- 2020: Lugtu JA*, Ferrarotti A*, Wetterer C, Puglisi J, Malhotra A. Identifying Risk Factors for Hydrocodone and Illicit Drug Abuse in the U.S. to Facilitate Prevention Planning. CNU Research Day. California Northstate University, Elk Grove.
- 2020: Eid TJ, Malhotra A. Topical Lidocaine Patches May Induce QTc Prolongation in a Patient with Cardiac Ischemia. CNU Research Day. California Northstate University, Elk Grove.
- 2020: Kreys T-J, Kreys E, Malhotra A. Mapping the Co-Curriculum to C.A.P.E. Outcomes and ACPE Standards 3 and 4. CNU Research Day. California Northstate University, Elk Grove.
- 2019: Lugtu JA*, Ferraroti A*, Wettrer C, Puglisi J, Malhotra A. Identifying risk factors for patterns of abuse through retrospective characterization of prescription and illegal drug abuse in America during 2017. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) midyear meeting, Las Vegas, NV.
Accomplishments & Awards
- 2020 Letter of Commendation, President, California Northstate University
For “Leadership in IPE”; Letter of Commendation and recognition at the annual university All Faculty and Staff Town Hall meeting
- 2020 Fellow, Academy of Pharmacology Educators, (FAPE), ASPET*
Highest national recognition for a career-wide contribution to pharmacology education, ASPET; one of only 22 Fellows nation-wide elected over a decade.
- 2019-20 Professor of the Year, CNU College of Pharmacy (CNUCOP)
- 2019 University President’s Recognition, California Northstate University (CNU) For “Leadership in Program Development”
- 2019 University Vice President’s Award for Leadership in Interprofessional Education California Northstate University (CNU), Elk Grove, CA
- 2019 Faculty Service Award, CNU College of Pharmacy
- 2019 Scholar of the Year, CNU College of Pharmacy
- 2019 Teacher of the Year, P2, First Runner-up, based on student votes, California Northstate University (CNU) College of Pharmacy
- 2019 Exam Writer, National Association of the Boards of Pharmacy (NABP)
- 2018 Abstract selected for ASPET oral presentation in program titled “Can metabolic vulnerabilities in cancer cells be therapeutically exploited?”
- 2017 Invited as Keynote speaker at Chronic Diseases 2017 meeting in Brussels, Belgium
- 2017 Pharmacology Educators Travel Award, ASPET
- 2017 Teacher of the Year, Students’ Choice Award, Runner-up
- 2017 Chair, Alumni and Marketing Committee, School of Pharmacy, Pacific University
- 2017 Mentored research award: First Prize to my postdoctoral fellow in the national ASPET Shockley graduate student and postdoc competition
- 2016 Pacific University President’s Junior Faculty Award
- 2016 AACP Teacher of the Year, School of Pharmacy, Pacific University
- 2016 Nominated for Pacific University Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching
- 2016 Pacific University Authors’ Celebration: special mention for prolific productivity
- 2016 National Science Foundation (NSF) Grant Reviewer, Graduate Research Fellowship Panel, Cell Biology Study Section
- 2016-19 Member, University Faculty Senate
- 2016 Best Poster Award, Pacific University Undergraduate Research Conference
- 2016 Co-Chair, Diversity task force, College of Health Professions, Pacific University
- 2014-16 Chair, Subcommittee on Strategic Planning, Biological Sciences Section, AACP
- 2014 Chair, Assessment Committee, School of Pharmacy, Pacific University
- 2014 Winner, AACP “Innovations in Teaching” national award competition as a member of a team of pharmacology faculty
- 2014 Co-author and participant for national white paper in assessment strategies for CAPE domains in pharmacy education; published by AACP
- 2012 Best Faculty Award, New York Methodist Hospital Center for Allied Health Education, Brooklyn, New York
- 2011 Marquis Who’s Who in Medical Education in USA
- 2011 Marquis Who’s Who in Science in USA
- 2008 Best Poster Award, American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 2007 Best Paper Award, Experimental Biology Meeting
- 2005 Travel Award, ASBM
- 2004 Best Graduate Poster Award, ASBMB
- 2003 Best Graduate Poster Award, ASBMB
- 2000 Gold Medalist in undergraduate pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, Hamdard University
- 1997 Elected Literary Secretary of Hamdard University
- 1996 Hakeem Abdul Hameed Chancellor Award & Gold Medal, School of Pharmacy, Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
- ASPET: American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- AACP: American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- ASBMB: American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology