Points of Pride 2019-2020
- 2020 AACP Walmart Scholar. Janie Yu (Class of 2021), was named a Walmart Scholar for 2020, the fourth straight year that a CNUCOP student was recognized as a Walmart Scholar.
- 2020 USPHS Excellence in Public Health Award. Ryan Sauer (Class of 2020) received the USPHS
Excellence in Public Health Pharmacy Award, the fourth consecutive year a CNUCOP student was
recognized with this prestigious award.
- 2020 California Pharmacy Leadership Award. Jacequline Cuddy (Class of 2021) received the CSHP
Leadership Award. She is the immediate past president of the student chapter of CSHP and joins two
other CNUCOP students in being selected for this award over the past few years.
- Extramural Scholarship. Shawna Evans (Class of 2020) received the Soroptimist Scholarship, awarded
to select number of female students who are Sacramento area residents enrolled in an accredited
college or university.
- PGY-1 Residency and Industry Fellowships. Three CNUCOP Class of 2020 graduates, Drs. Ella
Mokrushin, Vivian Truong, and Adarsh Konda, were successful in obtaining Rutgers Industry
Pharmaceutical Fellowship positions and 14 obtained Postgraduate Year One (PGY1) Residency
positions across the nation.
- Student Finalists – 2020 AACP Annual Meeting. Seven CNUCOP students were selected as finalists in
the AACP Annual Meeting Student/Trainee Research Poster Competition this past year and three
students published manuscripts this year in reputable journals.
- Service to California Pharmacy. Reilly Oki, from the Class of 2022, was re-elected to serve as Student
Trustee on the California Pharmacists Association Board of Trustees. This marks the second CNUCOP
student elected to serve as a Student Trustee.
- Student Service to National Pharmacy Chapters. Melinda Nguyen (Class of 2021) was elected as the
National Fighting Diabetes Chair for the Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPhA).
- IPE Service – Media Coverage Received. Hesu Kazaryan conducted interprofessional practice and
service work with CNU College of Medicine students and was featured on local new stations for their
service to the homeless community in the capital region of Sacramento during the ongoing COVID-19
- Research Funding. CNUCOP faculty have attained Federal (NIH), AACP New Investigator Award, and
foundation funding as well as internal research grants to support their research and scholarship.
Examples include: The 2019 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) New Investigator
Award (NIA) to CAS faculty Dr. Justin Lenhard; Dr. Tuan Tran, CAS faculty, co-Investigator on an NIH
funded R21 grant; the 2020 AZKEF Education Foundation SOTL grant to Drs. Catherine Yang (COM),
Vijay Khatri (COM), Raj Ramsamooj (COM), Joseph Rogers (COM), Ahmed ElShamy (COP), Ashim
Malhotra (COP) as co-PIs.
- Publications. Faculty, staff, and students have collectively published 12 peer-reviewed research and
scholarship articles and book chapters.
- 2020 AACP Podium Presentations. Faculty, Drs. Ashim Malhotra (PBS), Ruth Vinall (PBS), and Song
Oh (CAS) presented four national podium presentations including “mini-session” and “special
sessions” at the 2020 annual AACP Pharmacy Education virtual meeting on the following topics -
distance learning, interprofessional education, design thinking, and simulation for integration of
foundational and clinical sciences.
- Other Poster and Podium Presentation. CNUCOP faculty have presented 50 poster and podium
research presentations at international, national, and local meetings.
- PharmD Student Awardees -CNUCOP Summer Research Program. Six CNUCOP PharmD students
recently completed the 2020 CNUCOP Summer Research Fellowship program: Victor Changcoco
(Faculty mentor: Dr. Hongbin Wang); Sang Anh Phan (Faculty mentor: Dr. Justin Lenhard); Kenneth
Cheng (Faculty mentor: Dr. Fitsum Sahle); Vy Tran Luu (Faculty mentor: Dr. Justin Lenhard);
Alexander Akerlund (Faculty mentor: Dr. Eugene Kreys); Luling Li (Faculty mentor: Dr. Islam
- 2020, Bestowed Fellowship. Dr. Ashim Malhotra was elected as life time Fellow of the Academy of
Pharmacology Educators of the American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeut