Welly Mente, PharmD, FCSHP
Department of Clinical and Administrative Sciences
Vice Chair Clinical and Administrative Sciences in COP
Associate Professor of Clinical Sciences
Residency Program Director
Phone: (916) 686-7380
Cell: (625) 768-3710
Dr. Mente began his inpatient pharmacy experience in 1994 as an intern pharmacist for USC University Hospital in Los Angeles, California. After graduation from pharmacy school in 1997, inpatient residency training opened the doors to opportunities that allowed Dr. Mente to serve as USC School of Pharmacy Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice while employed as an inpatient pharmacist with Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital. In addition, valuable inpatient experience came from working per diem as an inpatient pharmacist at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center. In 2004, he began his northern California career with Kaiser Walnut Creek as inpatient pharmacist and was promoted to pharmacy management in 2007 where he served as the Kaiser Antioch inpatient pharmacy Drug Education Coordinator to help the team open the new hospital pharmacy. In 2010, his career in academia began upon joining CNUCOP with the desire to share his experience and passion for inpatient pharmacy practice to the students.
Dr. Mente has provided several accredited continuing education programs and also helped organize and plan dozens of other pharmacist-related continuing education preceptor training/appreciation events while at CNUCOP. Currently, Dr. Mente serves as Dept. Vice Chair of Clinical & Administrative Sciences, and Associate Professor at California Northstate University, College of Pharmacy. In this role, he plans to continue to nurture the pharmacy leaders of tomorrow and advocate for the pharmacy profession.
Professional and Academic Teaching Experiences
- CNUCOP Vice Chair Clinical and Administrative Sciences Department, 2020-present
- CNUCOP Assistant Professor and Bay Area Experiential Education Coordinator, 2010-2020
- Drug Education Coordinator, Kaiser Permanente Diablo Service Area, 2007-2010
- Clinical Pharmacist and, Kaiser Permanente Diablo Service Area, 2004-2010
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, USC School of Pharmacy, 2001-2004
- Inpatient Pharmacist Arrowhead Regional Med. Center (Per-Diem), 1999-2003
- Inpatient Clinical Pharmacist Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital, Whittier, 1998-2004
- PGYI Pharmacy Practice Residency (ASHP Accredited), Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital, Whittier, CA, 1997-1998
- Inpatient Pharmacy Intern, USC University Hospital, 1994-1997
- University of Southern California, School of Pharmacy Doctor of Pharmacy, 1997
- Ethel Percy Andrus Graduate School of Gerontology Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, 1993
- University of California, Irvine Bachelor of Science Degree in Biological Sciences, 1993
- Acid-based balance disorders
- Diagnostic testing and ROC Curves
- Education assessment and distance learning
- Gerontology and geriatric pharmacy
- Interprofessional Education (IPE) program
- IV sterile compounding practices and medication safety
- 2021: Mente W, Malhotra A, Young E, Brar N, Guan B, Feng X. Oncology biosimilars: Patient access and administration, In Hospital Pharmacy International Educational Handbook. Biosimilars: The path from production to patient. 2021 Taylor Francis.
- 2021: Mohamed IN, Mente W, Elsobky Y, Kreys E. Impact of Decoding Medication Tradenames on Students’ Performance in Didactic & Experiential Rotation Courses, Division for Pharmacology Education, American Society of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) Experimental Biology Conference, April 2021.
- 2021: Welly Mente, Kimberly Vongnalith, Jocelyn Gonzalez, Amy Ferrarotti. Student Live Online Proctoring Tutorial for Synchronous Online Exam Sessions using Student’s two Exam Taker Devices. Poster presentation at the 5th Annual CNU Research Symposium, 2021, Elk Grove, CA.
- 2021: Britney Satow, Welly Mente, Eugene Kreys, Uyen Le, Jennifer Courtney, Bin Deng, Peter Tenerelli. CNUCOP Certificate: Preparing Students for Experiential Training and Beyond the Didactic Curriculum. Poster presentation at the 5th Annual CNU Research Symposium, 2021, Elk Grove, CA.
- 2021: Mente, W. Program speaker during the “Rapid Action Response for Education (RARE)” – COVID Immunization C.E. program. Quality Assurance for COVID-19 Vaccinations (CPE/CME). Course Title: Quality Assurance for COVID-19 Vaccinations. CE Credits Offered: 0.1CPE and CME – 1 PRA AMA Category 1 ™. ACPE Activity #: 0597-0000-21-015-H06-P. Release Date: 05/13/21 Expiration Date: 05/13/24. Target Audiences: Pharmacists & Physicians.
- 2020: Mente W, Elsobky Y, Kreys E, Mohamed IN. Impact of Decoding Medication Tradenames on Students’ academic Performance and self-perception of competency, California Society of Health-System Pharmacists (CSHP) Seminar, Oct 2020.
- 2020: Mente, W. Engaging Learners Using TTPOLL Assessment with Diagnostic Testing. Institute of Teaching & Learning Excellence. Faculty Development Workshops Spring 2020. Feb. 24, 2020.
- 2020: Mente, W. ACPE Accredited Continuing Pharmacy Education Presentation titled: Preceptor Development: Get Ready for the PGY1 Residency Preceptor Qualifications. 5th Annual Preceptor Training Conference at CNUCOP. January 18, 2020.
- 2019: Malhotra A, Mente W, Kreys E, Brady D, West J, Noureddine N, Baranov C, AlKhayat T, Rogers J, Silva J, Tran HT. Developing an assessment blueprint for a comprehensive, integrated, multimodal interprofessional education program. Accepted CNUCOP School Poster for presentation at the 2019 AACP Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL. National.
- 2019: Malhotra A, Mente W, Phan V, Tran H. Training and engaging pharmacy residents to lead high fidelity simulation-based interprofessional education cases. National.
- 2019: Malhotra A, Holguin R, Mente W, Rogers J, Baranov C, AlKhayat T, Din T, Lui F, Buckley, Yang C, Tran H, Silva J. Interprofessional education collaborative at the California Northstate University. California Northstate University Research Day, Elk Grove, CA.
- 2019: Peer reviewed manuscripts (under review) 2019: Malhotra A, Mente W, Brady D, Kreys E, Baranov C, AlKhayat T, Rogers J, Silva J, Tran HT. Developing an assessment blueprint for a comprehensive, integrated, multimodal interprofessional education program. Submitted to Am J Pharm Educ.
- 2018: Mente, W. ACPE approved pharmacist continuing education for Preceptor Training Program: From the Motivated to the Difficult: Preceptor Engagement in Preparing Students to Perform at their Best. Palm Springs, CA. October 2018.
- 2016: Mente, W, Lee, J. ACPE approved 1.0 contact hour continuing education presentation titled “Challenges, Process, and Support: A Sense of Community Journey Begins with Hosting your own Diabetes Community Outreach Health Fair Event” co-presented at the California Society of Health-System Pharmacists (CSHP) Seminar 2016 Transitions in Pharmacy at the Disneyland Resort on Friday, October 28, 2016.
- 2016: Mente W. Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE) article title: Supplementing Pharmacists’ and Pharmacy Students’ Understanding of Sensitivity, Specificity, Predictive Values, and the Likelihood Ratios in Diagnostic Testing. California Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. Jan/Feb 2016. Vol. 28 No. 1.: pages 6-21. Submit C.E. online at www.cshp.org for pharmacist continuing education credit:
Release Date: 10.20.16
Expiration Date: 10.19.19
Contact Hours: 1.5
- 2016: Mente W. Submitted application in October 2015 for - Center for Team-Based Learning, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Grant Funding Year 2015-2016. Title: Enhancing Understanding of Sensitivity vs Specificity alongside Likelihood Ratios and ROC Curves
- 2015: Mente, W. Accuracy of Diagnostic Procedure Measurements in Relation to Sensitivity, Specificity and Likelihood Ratios. CNU Faculty Development Seminar Series. CNUCOM and CNUCOP. May 14, 2015.
- 2014: Mente, W. Sensitivity and Specificity Seminar: Diagnostic Testing. Professionalism Responsibility and Involvement in my Dedication to Excellence (P.R.I.D.E.) Event. CNUCOP. Oct. 14, 2014.
- 2013: Pauli, M, Bouw, J, Gupta, V, Hubbard, J, Nguyen, P, Mente, W, Nowak M, and D. Carroll. Experiential Education: Incorporating Active Learning Therapeutic Topics in APPE Rotations. Accepted CNUCOP School Poster for presentation at the 2013 AACP Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL. National
- 2014: Mente, W. CAPE Provider #212 approved continuing education program for pharmacist Preceptor Training VII: Preceptor Styles, Mentoring, and Conflict Resolution. CNUCOP and Adobe Connect online broadcast. October 2014.
- 2011: Mente, W. CAPE Provider #212 approved continuing education program for pharmacist Preceptor Training Conference I: Introduction to Preceptor Training. Santa Clara, CA. May 2011.
- 2011: Mente, W. CAPE Provider #212 approved continuing education program for pharmacist Preceptor Training Conference I: Introduction to Preceptor Training. Berkeley, CA. March 2011.
- 2011: Mente, W. CAPE Provider #212 approved continuing education program pharmacist Preceptor Training Conference I: Introduction to Preceptor Training. 1.0 contact hours. San Jose, CA. Jan 2011.
- 2006: Mente, W. PHARMACOLOGY UPDATE: Acid-Base Balance Disorders Nov. 2006. Kaiser Permanente. NURSING IN-SERVICE CONTINUING EDUCATION SPEAKER – Kaiser Permanente Martinez, CA
- 1992: Stanley, W.M, Ed. and M. Doedens, Associate Ed. Interaction of Norepinephrine and Neuropeptide Y Causes Production of Inositol Phosphates in Rat Tail Artery. Mente W, Journal of Undergraduate Research in the Biological Sciences. University of California, Irvine. Volume 22, July 1992. 606-14.
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2021: Islam Mohamed, B.Pharm, MS, PhD (Award Submitter & PI), Welly Mente, PharmD, FCSHP (Co-investigator), Eugene Kreys, PharmD, PhD, BCPS (Co-investigator), and Yasmin Elsobky, B. Pharm, BCPS (Co-investigator). Innovative teaching & learning collaboration (SOTL) Study brings together an interdisciplinary Team of co-investigators with complementary expertise from CNUCOP in USA & Abroad. AACP Biological Sciences Section Excellence in Teaching Award contributions to improving student learning through innovative teaching techniques (national award).
- 2021: Faculty certificate lead for Top 200 Drugs student achievement. CNUCOP Academic calendar year program has been in existence: 2021-2022
- 2021: Faculty certificate lead for Basic IV Sterile Compounding Certificate program. CNUCOP Academic calendar years program has been in existence: 2021-2022 and 2020-2021.
- 2021: ExamSoft assessment pharmacy resident preceptor for annual P4 APPE students Longitudinal Pharmacy Practice Experience (LPPK): PGY1 pharmacy residency calendar years program has been in existence: 2021-2022, 2020-2021, 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2017-2018 and 2016-2017.
- 2021: Pharmacist Resident Preceptor with Sutter Health East Bay/CNUCOP PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Teaching and Learning Certificate Program. PGY1 pharmacy residency calendar years in existence: 2021-2022, 2020-2021, 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017, and 2015-2016.
- 2020: 10 Year Service Award (Nov 2010 to Dec 2020) California Northstate University College of Pharmacy – Elk Grove, CA. Dec. 2020
- 2020: CNU Institute of Teaching and Learning Excellence (ITLE) and the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. Catherine Yang, announce recipients of the inaugural ITLE Healthcare Education Grant Award (HEGA) competition for the AY 2019-2020. Mohamed IN, Mente W, Elsobky Y, Kreys E Impact of Decoding Medication Tradenames on Students’ Performance and Self-reflection.
- 2019: CSHP Seminar 2019 state-level Clinical Skills Competition for pharmacy students. Faculty volunteer, Anaheim, CA
- 2019: Appointed to serve on CSHP 2019 Member Recognition Committee responsible for administering the state’s following award programs for CSHP: PRP (Fellows), Student Leadership in Health-System Practice, and Student Chapter Community Project Award. Additional scholarships I have been involved in include Interprofessional Education (IPE) posters and abstract.
- 2018: President of CSHP appointed to work with CSHP Staff in Sacramento, CA and other clinical pharmacists and pharmacy technicians on CSHP’s Seminar Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE) committee to bring high quality continuing education programs to Seminar 2018. San Diego, CA.
- 2018: Letter of Commendation, President, California Northstate University for effort in promoting inter-collegial collaboration in the area of data analytics leadership in the study of comparability clinical facilities.
- 2018: SNPhA 2018 faculty judge for CNUCOP student Clinical Skills Competition (local).
- 2017: CSHP Seminar 2017 state-level Clinical Skills Competition faculty judge with other faculty from Colleges and Schools of Pharmacy. Las Vegas, NV
- 2017: SSHP Clinical Skills Competition faculty judge for CNUCOP students represented at 2017 CSHP Seminar in Las Vegas, NV and 2017 ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Exhibition in Orlando, Fl
- 2017: California Society of Health-System Pharmacists 2017 Editorial Excellence Award.
Presented by Loriann De Martini PharmD, Chief Executive Officer and Victoria Ferraresi, PharmD, FASHP, FCSHP, President.
CSHP Seminar 2017 Awards Ceremony at Paris Las Vegas, Vegas, NV. October 2017.
- 2017: Diablo Society of Health-System Pharmacists Chair of the (DSHP) Diabetes Community Outreach Health Fair. This was an event that joined the community effort to promote education and enhance diabetes awareness during a diabetes health fair held at the Concord Senior Center in Concord, California. Collaboration with other colleges and schools of pharmacy in northern California. Nov. 2017
- 2016: Began appointment to IPE University Committee, conduct meetings and plan events with the College of Medicine (COM), COP, and Sacramento State School of Nursing (SON). This is an important endeavor for the university to demonstrate IPE accomplishments.
- 2016: CSHP Practitioner Recognition Program formal recognition for CSHP Fellow Award Program (FCSHP) recognize pharmacists that demonstrate an ongoing level of involvement and commitment to educating practitioners, residents, students, administrators, and/or the public in the pharmacy practice. 2016 Recognized during the CSHP Seminar 2016 Transitions in Pharmacy at Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, CA. October 2016.
- 2016: SSHP Clinical Skills Competition faculty judge for CNUCOP students represented at 2016 CSHP Seminar in Anaheim, CA and 2016 ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Exhibition in Las Vegas, NV
- 2015: 5 Year Service Award (Nov. 2010 to Nov. 2015) California Northstate University College of Pharmacy – Elk Grove, CA. Dec. 2015
- 2014: CSHP Seminar 2014 faculty Clinical Skills Competition Planning Committee
- 2014: Pharmaceutical Honor Society Rho-Chi Society-Delta Upsilon Chapter California Northstate University College of Pharmacy. May 2014
- 2014: CSHP Seminar statewide Quiz Bowl Student Competition faculty lead for Colleges and Schools of Pharmacy in California.
- 2014: CSHP SEMINAR MANAGEMENT TEAM – STUDENT PROGRAMMING CO-CHAIR
California Society of Health-System Pharmacists May 2013 to Nov. 2014. San Francisco, CA
- 2009: Kaiser Antioch AMC Quality – Pillar of Excellence Award for Growth
Kaiser Permanente Antioch Medical Center – Antioch, CA, Dec. 2009
- 2009: 5 Year Service Award (June 2004 to June 2009)
Kaiser Permanente Northern California (Walnut Creek and Antioch Medical Center). Nov. 2009
- 2009: Kaiser Permanente Certificate of Achievement new leader curriculum of the Diablo STAR Leadership Program. May 2009
- 2002: 5 Year Service Award (July 1997 to June 2002) Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital – Whittier, CA. Nov. 2002
- 1997: Senior Awards: McKesson Drug Company Award for the most significant contribution to the Academy of Students of Pharmacy. May 1997
- 1997: Senior Awards: Athena Neurosciences, Inc. Award in recognition of a student receiving the Pharm.D./Gerontology Graduate Certificate joint program. May 1997
- 1997: American Pharmaceutical Association Certificate of Recognition for outstanding service to the APhA-ASP Chapter at USC School of Pharmacy. Apr. 1997
- 1996: Inducted into Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society (USC Pharmacy) Mar. 1996
- 1992: University of California, at Irvine. UCI Excellence in Research Award for doing undergraduate pharmacology research May 1992