Zhuqiu (James) Jin, PhD
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences
Phone: (916) 686-7690
Fax: (916) 686-8142
Dr. Zhuqiu Jin is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Sciences at the California Northstate University College of Pharmacy. He obtained his M.S. degree in Pharmacology from Shenyang Pharmaceutical University and a Ph.D. degree in Pharmacology from Central South University. Dr. Jin was a postdoctoral scholar at the University of California, San Francisco exploring the effects of sphingolipids in cardioprotection. Prior to joining California Northstate University, Dr. Jin taught Pharmacology for Pharm.D. students and Ph.D. graduate students and carried out cardiovascular research as a faculty member and a Ph.D. advisor at South Dakota State University.
Dr. Jin’s research interest is focused on sphingolipid signaling pathway in cardiac fibrosis and remodeling. To uncover the cross-talk between immune cells and cardiac myocytes or fibroblasts in myocardial injury is the major field that Dr. Zhuqiu Jin is exploring.
- Sphingolipids and S1P receptors
- Cardiac fibrosis and anti-fibrosis
- Diabetic Cardiomyopathy
- Ischemic Heart Injury
- Abdullah CS, Jin ZQ. Targeted deletion of T-cell S1P receptor 1 ameliorates cardiac fibrosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. FASEB J. 2018; 32: 5426-5435.
- Abdullah CS, Li Z, Wang X, Jin ZQ. Depletion of T lymphocytes ameliorates cardiac fibrosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic cardiomyopathy. Int Immunopharmacol. 2016; 39: 251-264.
- Li Z, Abdullah CS, Jin ZQ. Inhibition of PKC-θ preserves cardiac function and reduces fibrosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic cardiomyopathy. Br J Pharmacol. 2014; 171: 2913-2924.
- Lovett DH, Mahimkar R, Raffai RL, Cape L, Zhu BQ, Jin ZQ, Baker AJ, Karliner JS. N-Terminal truncated intracellular matrix metalloproteinase-2 induces cardiomyocyte hypertrophy, inflammation and systolic heart failure. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e68154.
- Li Z, Jin ZQ. Ischemic preconditioning enhances integrity of coronary endothelial tight junctions. Biochem Biophy Res Commun. 2012 425: 630-635.
- Bandhuvula P, Honbo N, Wang G, Jin ZQ, Fyrst H, Zhang M, et al. S1P lyase (SPL): a novel therapeutic target for ischemia/reperfusion injury of the heart. Am J Physiol. Heart Cir Physiol. 2011; 300: H1753-H1761.
- Vessey DA, Li L, Jin ZQ, Kelley M, Honbo N, Zhang J, Karliner JS. A sphingosine kinase for 2 knockout sensitizes mouse myocardium to ischemia/reperfusion injury and diminishes responsiveness to ischemic preconditioning. Oxidative Medicine & Cellular Longevity. 2011; Article ID: 961059.
- Kotlyar AB, Randazzo A, Honbo N, Jin ZQ, Karliner JS, Cecchini G. Cardioprotective activity of a novel and potent competitive inhibitor of lactate dehydrogenase. FEBS Lett. 2010; 584: 159-65.
- Jin ZQ, Karliner JS, Vessey DA. Ischemic postconditioning protects isolated mouse hearts against ischemia/reperfusion injury via sphingosine kinase isoform 1 activation. Cardiovasc Res. 2008; 79: 134-140.
- Jin ZQ, Zhang J, Huang Y, Hoover HE, Vessey DA, Karliner JS. A sphingosine kinase 1 mutation sensitizes the myocardium to ischemia/reperfusion injury. Cardiovasc Res. 2007; 76: 41-50.
- Alfonso-Jaume MA, Bergman MR, Mahimkar R, Cheng S, Jin ZQ, Karliner JS, Lovett DH. Cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury induces matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression through the AP-1 components FosB and JunB. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006; 291: H1838-H1846.
- Jin ZQ, Karliner JS. N, N-Dimethylsphinjgosine is cardioprotective and activates cytosolic sphingosine kinase by a PKCε dependent mechanism. Cardiovasc Res. 2006; 71: 725-734.
- Jin ZQ, Zhou HZ, Cecchini G, Gray MO, Karliner JS. Manganese superoxide dismutase in mouse heart: acute responses to ischemic preconditioning and ischemia/reperfusion injury. Am J Physiol. Heart Cir Physiol. 2005; 288: H2986-H2994.
- Jin ZQ, Goetzl EJ, Karliner JS. Sphingosine kinase activation mediates ischemic preconditioning in murine heart. Circulation 2004; 110: 1980-1989.
- Jin ZQ, Zhou HZ, Zhu P, Honbo N, Mochly-Rosen D, Messing RO, Goetzl EJ, Karliner JS, Gray MO. Cardioprotection mediated by sphingosine-1-phosphate and ganglioside GM-1 in wild-type and PKC epsilon knockout mouse hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2002; 282: H1970-1977.
Accomplishments and Awards
- Travel Grant Award at the American Diabetes Association’s 74th Scientific Sessions
(San Francisco, June 13-17, 2014)
- Fellowship (FAHA), Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences, American Heart Association (Nov. 2011)
- Member, Review Committee, American Heart Association (2010-2013)
- Trainee Abstract Award at the Scientific Sessions of American Heart Association (Nov.11-14, 2001, Anaheim, CA)
- The National Excellent Doctorate Dissertation Award of China (Aug. 2000)